Highlights & Achievements
- Merion is a two-time recipient of the U.S. Department of Education's prestigious Blue Ribbon Award based on overall academic excellence affirming the hard work of students, educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging content.
- The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has recognized Merion as an official No Place for Hate school - an initiative that enables schools and organizations to reduce bias and bullying, increase appreciation for diversity and build communities of respect.
- Merion is home to a robust instrumental and choral music program, which has helped LMSD to be recognized as one of the NAMM's Best Communities for Education for the last six years.
- Merion is among the few public elementary schools in Pennsylvania to receive a distinguished GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10.
- Merion's innovative "School Family" program creates warm, supportive environment and strengthens academic success.
- More than two tons of food supplies are collected annually for Philabundance; one of the largest and most successful food drives in the area.
- Over the past three years, Anne Friedlander's fifth grade class has claimed two first place finishes, along with a second place finish, in the Citizenship Challenge Essay Contest sponsored by the Rendell Center for Civics and Citizenship.
- Merion is an active participant in the "Go for the Greens" initiative promoting healthy decision-making and good nutrition.
Merion's "School Families" consist of students in grades one through five, assigned to one of 45 "families" led by teachers, librarians, the school counselor, support staff and the principal. The family remains together for each child's length of time at Merion. When fifth-graders move on, two new first graders are assigned to each family.
Families meet at least once per month, participating in themed activities that blend social and academic skills and service. The School Family helps fosters a deeper sense of community across the grades; creating camaraderie and stronger bonds among students and staff. The program also strengthens the academic experience. When students feel comfortable, safe and connected they are more likely to experience academic success.