Dear LMSD Families,
Please read the information below regarding changes to our school schedules for Friday, January 14, 2022, along with an update on our current operational challenges.
Friday Jan. 14, 2022
This was already scheduled to be a half-day for students. We will follow the same schedule as we did for the half-days earlier this year.
- Elementary Schools:
- Grades 1-5: in-person classes dismiss at 12:25 p.m.
- AM Kindergarten: in-person classes dismiss 11:50 a.m. (as usual)
- PM Kindergarten: No school
- Middle Schools:
- Grades 6-8: virtual synchronous day until 11: 55 a.m.
- Identified special education students will receive in-person instruction until 11:55 a.m.
- High Schools:
- Grades 9-12: virtual synchronous morning until 11:20 a.m.
- Identified special education students will receive in-person instruction until 11:20 a.m.
- No transportation will be provided to CMTHS.
This week, the impact of COVID-19 on our ability to staff our schools and to provide meals and transportation for our students has been challenging. Each evening, our administrators check the number of staff who are reporting they will be absent the following day due to illness or quarantines and work on a plan to ensure that students will be supervised and our academic plans accommodated. But each morning, as additional school staff wake up and find themselves or family members symptomatic, their plans require revision. Each day, additional staff members are becoming ill and must go home.
Some students have spent multiple periods in large group spaces, such as auditoriums and cafeterias, so they could be supervised while teachers taught combined classes or taught from home. We are doing whatever we can to safely continue in-person instruction. But the situation is rapidly changing and hard to predict. We may reach a point in a particular school in the coming weeks when we will have to take that school virtual. If we do need to take a school virtual in the coming days, you will be notified as you are for a weather emergency. That is, prior to 6:00 a.m. you will receive an email and text alert and information will be posted on the District website (once it's functional again), Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Thank you for your ongoing flexibility and support.
Khalid N. Mumin, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools