Dear LMSD Families,
With winter on the horizon, I wanted to share information about our emergency weather plans. Our school calendar includes two (2) snow days; therefore, if we need to close for inclement weather, the first two closings will be traditional snow days. On traditional snow days, all buildings are closed, there is no transportation, and students and most staff stay home from school and work. Closures beyond these two (2) days will be virtual instruction days.
Instruction on virtual days, including special education services, will be provided virtually. The schedules for synchronous and asynchronous instruction will vary among elementary, middle and high schools. The virtual day schedules, along with other helpful links are available on the Virtual Instruction page of the District website.
If a virtual instruction day is anticipated, students will be notified to take their devices home the prior day. Teachers and staff will work with students proactively to instruct them on accessing virtual learning. Additional information will be provided by principals and teachers. Special Education case managers and related service providers will communicate with parents/guardians and/or students regarding the schedules for services.
As a reminder, if a weather-related late opening, closure or early dismissal will occur, the following notification methods will be used:
- Emails, phone calls and text messages will be sent to staff
- Emails and text messages will be sent to families who have email addresses and cell phones registered in PowerSchool
- No phone calls to families are made between 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.
- Information will be posted on the District Website
- Information will be posted on the District Facebook page
- Information will appear on the LMSD TV channel: Xfinity Channel 22, Fios Channel 36
- Information will be shared with local TV and radio news outlets
- Right At School will notify RAS families about their hours and locations via email
If you have any questions, please reach out to your student’s teacher(s) or principal.
Steven M. Yanni, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools