NEWS FROM HUGHES
- Black History Month:
Booker T. Washington was born a slave and deprived of any early education, but he still became America's leading black educator at the start of the 20th century. Booker T. Washington was the first teacher and principal of the Tuskegee Institute in Tuskegee, Alabama. Tuskegee became famous as a school for African-Americans, where Washington championed learning and job training as the path to black self-reliance and success in America. Well known as a powerful speaker, Washington also wrote the best-selling autobiography Up From Slavery in 1901, and advised Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and William Taft on race relations. Booker T. Washington was principal of Tuskegee Institute from 1881 until his death in 1915; it was originally called the Normal School for Colored Teachers and is now known as Tuskegee University.
- Attention Seniors: Your next scheduled meeting with you senior project advisor is the cycle beginning 2/23. If you have any questions please see your advisor or Mr. Lynn
- Mr. Lower Merion tickets will be on sale all this week during Lunch and Learn in Mr. Feeney's room, 204. Tickets are $10.00. You don't want to miss this show!
- Freshmen! Starting on Monday February 26th through March 2nd, your ninth grade class officers are selling Class of 2021 long sleeve shirts for 15 dollars in the cafeteria. You can also pick up an order form to buy a shirt. Buy a shirt to help out your ninth grade class!
- Do you ever feel like you're gonna lose money in your backpack or need money but it's far away? No need to fear that's what sticky wallets are for. Plus they have your high schools logo on it to not only add some style but to remind you about the school you love! Purchase these for the affordable price of 5$! You can get them from 10th grade class officers, Izzy Bruckman, Ethan Schatz, Ziphron Russel and Zaahid Bond in the cafeteria during lunch.
After school Enrichment
Tuesday - English and Thursday - Math
Enrichment takes place in the Library from 2:45-4:15PM
A, B, and C days: 2nd Lunch & Learn in the Learning Center
THIS WEEK'S EVENTS
- Boys Basketball: District quarters game, win and boys ball goes to Temple. Friday @ 7pm in the KBG, playing 6th seed Pennridge. Come watch the boys basketball team play the biggest game at LM in over 10 years. This is an extremely important game so we need the pound in full force. Spirit is crazy so wear neon, tie dye or anything weird! The tailgate starts at 6- you won't want to miss this!
- Your ACES hockey team completed regular season play last night with a dominant win over Marple Newtown, 11-1. With the win, LM advances to 11-4-1-1 on the season and secures a second place seed in the Central North. LM will host a HOME Central League Playoff game this Monday night, 7pm at the Skatium, versus Ridley. Aces Nation, the team needs your support at the rink Monday night more than ever!! Show that Dawg Pound support at the rink..!
- The intramural basketball playoffs start next week, after school in the Downs Gym. Check the schedule outside of room 336 as well as the google document online. Be ready to play. The Championship will be played on Thursday, March 1st.
- Players is having a company call on Tuesday, Februrary 27th right after school in the black box.