Guidelines For Obtaining A High School Diploma In Under Four Years
A high school diploma can be awarded by the Lower Merion Board of School Directors in under four years with either of the following plans:
A student may complete the requirements for a high school diploma in three years or three and a half years by attending regular and summer sessions at Lower Merion or Harriton High Schools or at other accredited high schools.
- A student who is admitted to an accredited college at the end of the student's third year in high school may receive a diploma after the student successfully completes the student's first year in college.
- A student may complete the student's requirements for a high school diploma by attending regular and summer sessions at Lower Merion or Harriton High Schools or at other accredited high schools.
In order to qualify for a diploma as specified above, a student must:
- Submit to the student's school counselor a letter of request signed by both the student and the student's parents. The letter of request must specify the purpose of the request and outline a tentative program for fulfilling all graduation requirements.
- Obtain program approval from the student's school counselor in writing.
- Receive final approval from the Principal in writing.
Commonwealth Secondary School Diploma
Students who leave high school without earning sufficient credits to graduate are encouraged to take the General Educational Development (GED) in order to receive a Pennsylvania State Diploma. If students have earned 16 credits from either Lower Merion or Harriton, they are eligible for a diploma after passing the GED. Students must be 17 years of age and their grade-level cohort must have graduated prior to the student taking the GED test.
Requests for Schedule or Course Level Changes
Requests for schedule changes must be made in writing on a form provided by the Counseling Department by June 14, 2019. Students must state specific reasons for requests. A parent/guardian must approve any changes in writing. Students must attend all scheduled classes until change requests are completed. Failure to do so will result in a cut for the missed class(es).