The following immunizations are required of every student entering the Bala Cynwyd Middle School:
For attendance in all grades:
- 4 doses of tetanus (1 dose on or after the 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of diphtheria (1 dose on or after the 4th birthday)
- 3 doses of polio
- 2 doses of measles (1st dose on or after 1st birthday) usually given as MMR
- 2 doses of mumps (1st dose on or after 1st birthday) usually given as MMR
- 1 dose of rubella (German measles)-(1st dose on or after 1st birthday) usually given as MMR
- 3 doses of hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chicken pox) vaccine (1st dose on or after 1st birthday) or history of disease
Children entering 7th grade will also need
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) if 5 years has elapsed since last tetanus immunization
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine
If students have at least one dose of the antigen in the series, they will be put on provisional status until the required number of doses has been received, but no longer than 8 months from the first day attending school. If the series is not completed in 8 months the student will be excluded from school at discretion of the health department and administration.
If a physician writes that the child is adequately immunized, (Ex: inappropriate intervals between Hepatitis B doses, MMR given 4 days prior to 12 months of age, any other spacing issues) it will be considered a medical exemption. In the event that there is an outbreak, the Department of Health would recommend exclusion and make recommendations based on actual immunization history.