Motor Vehicle Parking
Parking on school property is a privilege. Students who have registered their car and have a parking tag may drive to school if they observe the following regulations:
- All drivers must be registered in the Main Office. Parking tags will be distributed for $30 per year and must be placed on the rear view mirror of cars registered. Additional tags may be purchased at a cost of $30 if lost.
- If you are student with a tag, the tag must match the car that is registered-if not, the tag will be revoked.
- Students must observe safe driving regulations on campus (maximum 5-mph speed limit).
- Vehicles may not be used during the regular school day from 7:30 a.m.-2:40 p.m. except for those students authorized by their participation in Educational Field Experience.
- Special care shall be exercised by operators of all vehicles whiles buses are loading or unloading, and under no condition shall a vehicle pass while the bus is loading or unloading passengers on school grounds.
- The parking lot is off limits during the school day unless permission (car pass) is received from your administrator.
- The practice of driving to school and picking up friends to go for a ride (leaving campus) before school opens is not permitted.
- Students will have driving privileges revoked for reckless driving and speeding.
*Students will lose driving privileges for the following violations: including, but not limited to illegal parking, persistent lateness to school, leaving school without permission, cutting class(es), counterfeiting parking tags, giving his/her tag to another student, selling/transferring tag to another unregistered car and other Student Guide violations.
- Students may lose their driving privileges for the year if revoked.
- Students who park illegally (no tag) the first time will be warned and their car will be searched. For the second offense an Extended Day Detention will be assigned, the car will be searched and a letter will be sent home notifying them and their parents of the consequences. On the third offense, the car will be towed at the owner’s expense.
- Students who were declined parking privileges for the Fall of 2018 and display appropriate decision-making by making positive behavioral choices the first semester (no suspensions) may reapply for a parking permit at the beginning of the second semester and be placed on the waiting list.
- Senior students who obtain their driver’s license during the school year may apply for their parking privilege at that time.
- The driver or owner of the car is responsible for the car. The school is not responsible for damage to the car on the lot. Please keep cars locked. A school district campus aide monitors the parking lots throughout the day as a precautionary measure to maintain a safe school environment.
- No student cars are to be parked in the access and fire lanes. Each car MUST be parked in a marked space. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action, removal of driving privileges and/or towing.
**STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PURCHASE A PARKING TAG IF THEY OWE MONEY AND/ OR UNIFORMS OR EQUIPMENT OR BOOKS OR LAPTOPS.
School parking lots are public property and parking on school property is a privilege. Cars parked on school property are under the jurisdiction of school administrators, and students have no right to expect that the contents of their cars are private. Vehicles may be searched if an administrator has reasonable suspicion that the vehicle(s) may contain items that are illegal or violate school rules.
- The Bus Loop is off limits to all traffic except school buses during the morning drop off and afternoon pick up times.
- There shall be no passing at any time on school property.
- No vehicle shall proceed against traffic at any time.
- Students may not go to their cars during the school day without a car pass.
- Cars must be parked in a designated parking space. Diagonal parking across spaces is prohibited
- Students are to park in the area designated for student parking only.
- Dropping off and picking up students at the beginning or end of school should be done at the appropriate parking lot.
Students who use the parking areas must identify themselves when requested to do so by staff members.
Student parking is permitted in the upper parking lot adjacent to the athletic fields.
Student parking is NOT permitted in the following areas:
- Any construction area
- Any reserved parking area
- All areas marked “No Parking”
- On the grass
- Any teacher parking space
Students who park in unauthorized areas will lose the privilege of parking on school property. Automobiles illegally parked will be towed away at the student’s/owner’s expense. Please note that students park on school property at their own risk. There is no parking lot attendant available to supervise the lot.
Parking tags are available for seniors (all) and juniors who participate in Educational Field Experience or COOP. Should there be any spaces available other juniors and sophomores will be permitted to purchase tags on a first come-first served basis.
Lower Merion High School Parking Regulations
The policies listed above are also in effect for all LMHS students who have a parking spot on campus. There are limited numbers of on-site parking for students. These spaces will be issued to seniors only through a lottery system. Any student car parked on-site other than the ones that have parking placards will be considered illegally parked and will be subject to towing at the owner’s expense.