Assistant Superintendent's 2020-21 Goals
The Board of School Directors of the Lower Merion School District has agreed upon the following objective performance standards for Alexis McGloin, Assistant Superintendent. The objective performance standards are presented in two categories. The first, Priority Goals are goals that are specific to the Lower Merion School District. While subsumed within the state mandated protocol, both the Board of School Directors and the Superintendent felt it important to highlight and emphasize goals that will be focused on during the 2020-21 school year. The second, Other Objective Performance Standards, together with the Priority Goals, are goals intended to satisfy the requirements for establishing objective performance standards for Assistant Superintendents set forth in the Pennsylvania School Code applicable to all Assistant Superintendents working in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Achievement Task Force – The Assistant Superintendent’s goal is to establish practices and implement strategies that are research-based and measurable. It includes melding the District’s commitment for cultural literacy with actionable steps and establishing an ongoing and sustainable response to student learning.
The task force supports the work of the Committee to Address Race in Education (CARE) and serves as its action arm. Dr. McGloin oversees the CARE meetings to help with these related actions and next steps.
- Strategic Plan Implementation – Continued implementation, integration and actualization of the progressive and dynamic “All Forward,” district strategic plan. Further building the necessary infrastructure for plan actualization will continue this year. Curriculum templates and structure that embed the plan’s core tenets as well as a process for systematic curriculum revision and management have continued. This framework will be utilized in curriculum deliverables, such as content area unit upgrades. The Assistant Superintendent is charged with the responsibility of direct and consistent monitoring and oversight of the strategic plan to ensure that the school community will continue to see its vision realized.
- 5-8 Program – In October, the 5-8 Committee picked up its pre-pandemic work planning for the September 2022 opening of the new middle school. The Assistant Superintendent streamlined the original committee to include to include content-area teachers, specialists, administrators, parents/guardians and representatives of all District schools. Dr. McGloin guided the finalization of a 5-8 middle school mission and vision which will guide the work of the committee as a whole, as well as drive subcommittee recommendations.
Dr. McGloin was also tasked with overseeing possible transition plans, for welcoming a third middle school and moving all three middle schools to include grades 5-8. Four potential transition models were reviewed as well as discussing the design of a 5-8 program that would develop and support the mission and vision of the District’s strategic plan, All Forward.
Moving forward, Dr. McGloin’s goal is to guide the work of the 5-8 committee which will transition to six subcommittees:
- School Culture
- Student Intervention, Enrichment & Well-Being
- Unified Arts
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Grading & Reporting
Other Objective Performance Standards
- Student Growth and Achievement – The Assistant Superintendent uses multiple data sources to assess student success and growth as appropriate, specific to the needs within the District and as determined annually in collaboration with the Board of School Directors. Annual or other District performance objectives are articulated and clearly achieved under the direction of the
Superintendent relative to PSSA, PVAAS, and other locally determined measures.
- Organizational Leadership – The Assistant Superintendent works collaboratively with the Board to support the mission of and a shared vision for LMSD, displays an ability to identify and rectify problems affecting the district, manages LMSD staff to ensure best practices are being utilized by all buildings and departments and works to positively influence the climate and culture of LMSD.
- LMSD Operations and Financial Management – The Assistant Superintendent manages effectively, ensuring completion of activities associated with the annual budget by overseeing the distribution of resources in support of LMSD priorities.
- Communications and Community Relations – The Assistant Superintendent communicates with and effectively engages the staff, the board and members of the community, clearly articulating district goals and priorities, addressing issues affecting LMSD, and building support for LMSD goals, initiatives and programs.