Student safety is the top priority of the Transportation Department. Students and parents should review the following safety guidelines prior to each school year.
At your bus stop
- When leaving your home, go directly to your bus stop.
- Respect the property and peace of the people who live at or near your bus stop.
- Use your assigned bus stop each day.
- Be at the bus stop at least five minutes before your bus is scheduled to arrive. This will help to keep your bus on schedule.
- Stand away from the roadway either on the sidewalk or on the shoulder of the road.
- Wait until your bus comes to a complete stop before moving to board it.
- If you must cross the street to board the bus, wait until it has stopped, the red school bus lights are flashing and the driver signals that it is safe to cross. Then, look both ways and cross ten feet in front of the bus.
Boarding and riding the bus
- Board your bus in an orderly manner.
- Take a seat and remain seated until your bus reaches your destination.
- Talk in a normal tone so that you do not distract the driver.
- Keep the aisle and emergency exits clear of all belongings.
- Respect the rights of other passengers.
- Drinking and eating are not permitted.
- Pointed or sharp objects such as pens, pencils, or scissors should be carried in a case or container.
- Do not throw objects from the bus.
- Do not put your head or hands out of the windows.
- Do not deface, damage or tamper with any of the bus equipment, including the emergency exits.
- Obey your driver at all times.
Leaving your bus
- Get off at your assigned stop.
- Assist younger children when leaving the bus.
- Do not walk along the side of the bus or behind the bus.
- If you must cross the street, walk ten feet in front of the bus and then look up at your driver for his/her okay to step into the street. Then, walk only to the outside edge of the bus, stop and look both ways to be certain all traffic has stopped and then proceed to the other side of the street.
- Go directly home.
Additional safety regulations
- Students may ride only the bus to which they are assigned. Permission to ride another bus may be granted by the student's principal for emergency purposes. A note granting such permission, signed by the principal or his/her designee, must be presented to the driver before boarding the alternate bus. A note from a parent is not acceptable.
- Live animals, firearms, explosives or anything of a dangerous or objectionable nature are not permitted on school buses. Also, gym bags, band instruments, school projects and other similar items are not permitted on the school bus unless they can be held on the pupil's lap without endangering the safety of other pupils.
- The two front seats on both sides of every bus are designated as seats reserved for pupils with moderately large instruments (trombones, horns, saxophones, violas, etc.).
- The following instruments are too large to be transported on buses: baritone sax, baritone horn, base trombone, cello, drums, electric bass, electric piano, marimba, mellophone, sousaphone, string- bass, tuba, vibraharp, and xylophone amplifier system.
Violations of the Rules
- The bus driver will reprimand the pupil for minor violations.
- The bus driver will report serious or repeated violations to the school principal in writing.
- The school principal will notify the pupil and the parent or guardian of the violations and of the disciplinary action which must be taken.
- Riding the school bus is a privilege. Repeated and/or serious misconduct could result in a loss of riding privileges.
For specific Bus, Stop, and Pick Up time information, please contact your school
- Observe classroom conduct
- Be courteous, use no profane language
- Do not eat or drink on bus
- Keep the bus clean
- Cooperate with the driver
- Do not smoke
- Do not damage bus or equipment
- Stay in your seat
- Keep head, hands and feet inside bus
- Do not fight, push or shove
- Do not tamper with bus equipment
- Do not bring pets on bus
- Do not bring flammable material on the bus
- The driver is authorized to assign seats
- Have a safe trip