What is a Wellness Council?
The Council will bring together individuals to address issues affecting the health of our children, youth, and families. Within a framework of risk factors identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the council will act as a liaison between the School Health program and the Lower Merion community. Through the cooperative effort of members, the council will identify risk factors, establish priorities, make recommendations, and provide leadership in health promotion activities.
Benefits of a Wellness Council
- Improve student performance and attendance
- Provide a way for community members and schools to collaborate in creating a health promoting environment.
- Provide a forum for sharing information and utilizing community resources.
- Address the six CDC student risk factors
- Intentional and Unintentional Injuries
- Sexual Behaviors
- Physical Activity
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Comprehensive School Health Education
- Physical Education
- Health Services
- School Environment and Safety
- Staff Health Promotion
- Food Services and Nutrition
- Counseling, Psychological, and Mental Health Services
- Family and Community Involvement
The LMSD Wellness Council was developed in partnership with the American Cancer Society (ACS). The ACS developed a national model based on a Comprehensive School Health Program which reflects eight components of a school community as well as six risk factors there were identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Preventions. This ACS model provided the impetus to develop the Lower Merion School District School Wellness Council. The American Cancer Society has provided training to the Wellness Council coordinators at no cost to the LMSD.
- Sept 17 - District Administration Office
- October 1 – Hothouse Coffee
- November 5 – District Administration Office
- December 3 - Hothouse Coffee
- January 7 - District Administration Office
- February 4 - Hothouse Coffee
- March 4 - District Administration Office
- April 1 - Hothouse Coffee
- May 6 - District Administration Office
- June 3 - Hothouse Coffee
Meetings are held the first Monday of the month (holidays will be bumped to the following Monday) at 11 AM at either the District Administration Office or Hothouse Coffee, 824 Lancaster Ave, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010 unless otherwise noted.