Whooo Loves a Parade?
Everyone is invited to participate in a celebratory parade on Saturday, May 10, 2014 from 10 am to approximately 11:30 am to honor Cynwyd Elementary’s 100th anniversary. The parade will begin at the Lower Merion Academy Building located at 506 Bryn Mawr Avenue in Bala Cynwyd and conclude at Cynwyd Elementary’s back field, where a short program will take place. Picnicking is encouraged on the field after the parade. Food will be available for purchase from local vendors.
The parade is the final event in Cynwyd Elementary’s semester-long celebration of its 100th birthday. Several special guests will be marching and in attendance. Principal Dr. Dan Martino will serve as Grand Marshall. School mascot Owlbert will entertain the crowds along with Lower Merion and Harriton High School bands, cheerleaders, Cynwyd’s Student Council, Cynwyd’s 5th grade graduating class of 2014, the Lower Merion High School Players and six MINI Cooper convertibles carrying special guests.
The back field program will include: color guard and a flag salutation with the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, the national anthem with Cynwyd Music Department staff Anne Sterner-Porecca and Christopher Landi leading the Levering Mill Chorus and Bala-Cynwyd Middle School bands and remarks from special guests, including Josh Shapiro, Chairman of the Montgomery County Board of Commissioners.
Cynwyd Elementary Principal Dr. Dan Martino said, “It’s been amazing to see our current families and alumni come together and celebrate the history of our school. Now the whole community can celebrate with an old-fashioned parade through the streets of our neighborhood."
Calendar of Events:
- January 14, 2014 Kickoff Assembly – Students Only
- February 11, 2014 Alumni and Community Reception - Buy tickets online!
- February 20, 2014 History Assembly for Students with the Lower Merion Historical Society and New Horizons Senior Glee Club
- March 10, 2014 Time Capsule Dedication – Students Only
- May 1, 2014 All-School Art Show – Current School Families Only
- May 7, 2014 "Facts, Fads and Fashions" Assembly for Students
- May 10, 2014 Centennial Parade – Community Welcome!
- June 2014 Special Centennial Edition Yearbook
- Throughout the year Curriculum Initiatives/Special Assemblies
- Throughout the year Creation of a Centennial Walkway and Beautification of Athie's Garden
Garden named in honor of Athie Sosangelis-White, beloved former Cynwyd teacher
- Throughout the year Community Giving Projects