Keep Kids Safe
The Lower Merion School District and Lower Merion Township are partnering in a community-wide effort to support the physical and mental health and safety of young people. This initiative was kicked off with a Family Information Night in June 2023, where information was shared on topics such as internet and social media safety and monitoring; mental health crisis support; healthy activities at local libraries and parks; and when and how law enforcement should be called with concerns.
This event was followed by the implementation of LMSD’s “Off and Away” program in September 2023. And, in the coming months, this page will feature additional pertinent videos and resources to help our community support children and youth.
SCHOOL DISTRICT AND TOWNSHIP PARTNER FOR "SCHOOL'S OUT" FAMILY INFORMATION NIGHT
On Monday, June 12, 2023, Lower Merion School District and Lower Merion Township partnered on an event designed to provide families with helpful information and resources they might find useful during the summer months, when students' school routine is disrupted.
After a welcome from Acting Superintendent Megan E. Shafer, the panel members addressed topics such as device and social media management, potential interactions with law enforcement, addressing mental health concerns, and wholesome summer activities. Panelists were:
- Jen Goldberg, LMSD Elementary Technology Specialist
- George Frazier, LMSD Directof of Information Systems
- Joe Hunsicker, John Mick and Jim Batinger, Lower Merion Township Police
- Christopher Hall, Welsh Valley Middle School Principal
- Dr. Adil Nure, LMSD Lead Supervisor of Clinical Services and Gifted Education
- Moira Tumelty, Montgomery County Mobile Crisis
- Donna Heller, Lower Merion Township Director of Parks and Recreation
- Dawnita Brown, Lower Merion Township Library System, Ardmore Children's Librarian