Young Writers/Young Readers (K-12)
Lower Merion School District is a host site for the Pennsylvania Writing and Literature Project's (PAWLP) Young Writers/Young Readers summer program. The program provides writing and reading enrichment for students K-12.
The program is sponsored by PAWLP, West Chester University (WCU), select area school districts and several private locations.
The goals of the program are:
- to inspire students to love writing and reading
- to introduce students to the tools they need to become better writers
- to encourage students to collect writing ideas in their notebooks
- to stretch students' capabilities in writing and reading
- to help students learn to read like writers
- to help students see themselves as writers with individual voices, unique in their manner of expression
Classes are small, averaging 13-15 students. Students are grouped by age and grade level, and teachers are prepared to teach multi-age classes. All students contribute self-selected writing to a literary anthology.
All program instructors are Fellows of the National Writing Project as well as experienced classroom teachers. Students will gain confidence in their reading and writing abilities while focusing on brainstorming, prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, reading response activities and more.
To view the flyer with more detailed information about all of the programs and registration information, click here.