In 1995, LMSD became the first school district in Pennsylvania to utilizes buses fueled by compressed natural gas (CNG) in its fleet. Today, the District boasts the largest green fleet of CNG buses on the East Coast and has been honored numerous times for its commitment to utilizing clean fuels in transportation.
- LMSD has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Energy as "Pennsylvania's primary success story for alternative fuels."
- CNG buses eliminate the use of more than 165,000 gallons of conventional liquid fuel per year in Lower Merion.
- LMSD is the only school district to serve on the Board of the Greater Philadelphia Clean Cities Council.
- In 2012, 2013 and 2014, LMSD was named one of the top green fleets in United States by "The 100 Best Fleets in North America," an organization that honors the "best of the best" bus fleets in our country. Among more than 38,000 public fleets in the U.S. and Canada, LMSD was one of only 50 to earn recognition and was one of only two school districts honored.
- LMSD was honored as North America's top school district "green fleet" and third best government "green fleet" of 2012 at the fifth annual Government Green Fleet Awards & Expo. LMSD was the only representative from PA to finish in the top forty and was one of only two school districts to be honored in the competition.