Tuesday, March 9, 2021
Dear LMSD Parent/Guardians,
At last night's Education Committee/Supplemental Board Meeting of the Lower Merion Board of School Directors, LMSD's plan for returning more students to more in-person instruction starting the week of March 22, 2021, was presented and approved. This evening, tomorrow evening and Thursday evening, principals will be sharing additional building-specific details at Zoom informational meetings, which I urge you to join. Click here for the Zoom links. A list of answers to Frequently Asked Questions is available here.
The next step in this process is for families to commit to an instructional pathway for the remainder of the school year by submitting a Spring Pathway Commitment Form. If no Spring Pathway Commitment form is submitted, that student will remain in their current placement by default. If you want to change pathways, or make sure that your child is on your preferred pathway going forward, please click here to fill out a Spring Pathway Commitment Form before midnight on Sunday, March 14, 2021.
To see a chart showing the possible Pathway choices, please click here. Also, please note the following:
- LMVA students do not have the option of changing pathways and must remain in that program for the rest of this school year.
- Parents/Guardians who share responsibility for a child must agree on a Pathway Commitment prior to submitting. Only one form will be accepted per student.
- LMSD@Home K-8 was a yearlong commitment. However, if a family has a unique circumstance that makes them unable to remain in the virtual program, they can request to be added to a wait list for the Return to School Pathway (Full Return).
- K-8 LMSD@Home students may be placed into a school other than their home school for in-person instruction.
- Requests to move from LMSD@Home to in-person may be denied if there is not sufficient physical space for that student in a building.
- LMSD may not be able to provide transportation for LMSD@Home students who are placed in a partner school.
- Students who are in the Phased Return to School Pathway (currently in Hybrid), but who want to move into virtual instruction will be placed as follows:
- K-5 students will be placed in LMSD@Home classes, as long as there is sufficient space and staffing.
- 6-8 students will be able to choose the "Middle School Spring Remote" option to continue to follow their schedules using technology, as has been the case during Winter Flex.
- 9-12 students will be able to choose LMSD@Home 9-12 and continue to follow their schedules using technology.
- The current Winter Flex option for K-8 ends on March 19, 2021. The default option for Winter Flex is the Phased Return to School Pathway.
I urge all parents and guardians to take the time to review the information we are sharing this week and make the decision that best aligns with your family's unique situation. Once you have made that decision, remember to fill out the Spring Pathway Commitment Form. Again, the deadline is midnight, Sunday, March 14, 2021. We realize that the pathways may not be perfect for every one of our 8600 students and for all of our staff. And even with all of our planning, preparations and precautions, circumstances may force us to alter course again between now and year's end in June. But I am confident that if we work as a community, we can take this next step forward together.
Robert L. Copeland