Lower Merion School District is pleased to announce that six students representing the Class of 2020 have been named Finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program and will each receive a $2,500 scholarship for their exemplary academic achievement.
From Harriton High School:
- Patrick McCann of Ardmore, whose probable career field is crop/soil chemistry
- Sunme Zhao of Wynnewood, whose probable career field is geology
From Lower Merion High School:
- Samantha Anderer of Wynnewood, whose probable career field is journalism
- Annie Liang of Wynnewood, whose probable career field is engineering
- Sophie Yang of Wynnewood, whose probable career field is engineering
The 2,500 Merit Scholar designees were chosen from a talent pool of more than 15,000 outstanding Finalists in the 2020 National Merit Scholarship Program.
National Merit $2500 Scholarship winners are the Finalists in each state judged to have the strongest combination of accomplishments, skills and potential for success in rigorous college studies. The number of winners named in each state is proportional to the state's percentage of the nation's graduating high school seniors.
In addition, Harriton High School senior Emily Wright received a National Merit Scholarship from Boston University, which she plans to attend.