Lower Merion School District's Department of Student Services and the Interschool Council (ISC), in collaboration with the Home & School Associations, have organized a series of informational events and programs covering many important health-related topics throughout the 2017-18 school year.
Programs marked with an asterisk are brought to you through a collaboration of the Student Services Department, the Interschool Council and the HSA of the hosting school. We encourage parents/guardians to attend these informative evening programs, including those held in schools other than where your child attends. Your presence is welcome at all schools!
- *LMSD and Lower Merion Police Department: Community and School Collaborations – Tuesday, February 27 at 7:00 p.m. at Cynwyd Elementary School
Please join us to learn about the Lower Merion Police Department and their role in the community and our schools. Participants will discuss ways in which the LMPD can engage with students particularly at the elementary school level.
- *Teens and Sexuality: An Evening with Educator Al Vernacchio – Thursday, March 8 at 7:00 p.m. at Harriton High School
Al Vernacchio, an educator, author and national speaker will discuss teens and sexuality. He has an amazing ability to put people at ease and offer a glimpse into how teens think and act around issues of sexuality. Learn how to help teens approach sexuality in a responsible and well-informed manner.
- Wellness Council Meeting – Monday, March 12 from 4:00-6:00 p.m. in the District Administration Building
Meet parents/guardians and staff leaders and share wellness events and happenings throughout the District. If you have an interest in Wellness especially around nutrition and fitness, please join us.
- *Beyond 13 Reasons Why: Recognizing and Responding to the Warning Signs of Depression & Suicide – Tuesday, April 24 at 7:00 p.m. at Welsh Valley Middle School
The very popular TV series "13 Reasons Why" has kids and adults talking about suicide. Come join us for an informative presentation on the topic. Dr. Matthew Wintersteen from Thomas Jefferson University (and Co-Chair of PA Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative) will help parents recognize children in distress and warning signs of depression and suicide. Dr. Wintersteen has presented on this topic to national professional groups and to school districts throughout Pennsylvania including LMSD.
- Wellness Council Meeting – Monday, May 7 from 4:00-6:00 p.m. in the District Administration Building
Meet parents/guardians and staff leaders and share wellness events and happenings throughout the district. If you have an interest in Wellness especially around nutrition and fitness, please join us.
- *Bullying: What Families Need to Know – Wednesday, May 9 at 7:00 p.m. at Penn Valley Elementary School
Many parents/guardians have their own painful memories of bullying. What does bullying look like in today's world? How can parents and schools prevent bullying and what can be done to intervene? This panel discussion will include the timely topic of cyberbullying.
- Community Health Fair – Date/Time TBD
Health information and activities will be presented in interactive forums by Lower Merion School District's Health Staff and other community agencies/providers.