Dear LMSD Families,
This afternoon, we made the decision to return all LMSD students to remote instruction beginning tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2020. This includes all special education students. We had hoped to continue in-person instruction for secondary students through the end of this week, but after reviewing our current cases of COVID-19 with the Montgomery County Office of Public Health (MCOPH), we have been advised to end in-person instruction immediately.
There are several reasons for this sudden change in course, most directly related to the surge in our area.
- MCOPH cannot keep up with contact tracing in a timely manner, due to the high number of positive test results they are receiving. This means close contacts and asymptomatic people who should be quarantined due to possible COVID-19 exposure may not be getting that information and may expose others.
- The county testing sites have informed us that they are overwhelmed and cannot keep up with the testing needs that would help determine who needs to be quarantined or isolated due to COVID-19.
- Reports of positive cases and quarantines among staff and students are increasing rapidly.
- Based on the information we are receiving, we can no longer say with certainty that we are not experiencing school-based transmission (linked cases) of COVID-19 in our schools.
The remote instructional models for the coming weeks are:
- Elementary will continue to follow their current (hybrid) schedule.
- Middle Schools will follow their current (hybrid) schedule, with both cohorts participating virtually from home.
- High Schools will return to the remote learning schedule they followed at the beginning of the school year. Principals will share additional details about letter days, sports, etc. later today via email.
Under orders from the Montgomery County Department of Health, all schools in Montgomery County will be offering remote instruction only from Nov. 23-Dec. 4, 2020. All schools and offices will be closed Nov. 26-27, 2020, for Thanksgiving Break.
During this closure, please remember to follow all of the public health protocols, including mask-wearing, handwashing and maintaining social distance. We hope these steps will enable our students to return to in-person instruction in December.