Our mission is to provide all students access to comprehensive school guidance and counseling program which is research based, data driven, and reflects the individual developmental needs of our students.
Our professional school counselors work as student advocates by collaborating with parents, guardians, and other staff and community members. School counselors provide a continuum of services through a comprehensive school guidance and counseling program for all students in grades 6-8.
School counselors implement programs for systemic change in our schools based upon the recommended competencies suggested for middle school students.
Through exposure to the school guidance and counseling program, students will experience growth within the three domains of: academic achievement, personal/social development, and career awareness as recommended by the American School Counselor Association.
The school counselors at WVMS believe:
- All of our students have dignity, worth, and deserve mutual respect
- All of our students have access to the school counseling program
- Our school counseling curriculum considers the special needs and all ethnic, racial, sexual, and gender differences of our students
- All 6-8 students should have access to a full-time, state certified, master's-degree-level school counselor to deliver the school counseling curriculum
Our comprehensive school counseling program at WVMS will:
- Be based on specified goals and developmental student competencies for grades 6-8
- Be planned and coordinated by school counseling staff with input from other school, parent, and community representatives
- Incorporate community resources
- Be evaluated and developed by using measurable data
- Actively involve counseling representatives to monitor students' outcomes and progress
We will maintain a strong ethical foundation that protects our students and their families by:
- Abiding by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association
- Participating in professional development activities essential to maintain a quality school counseling program
Click here to learn more about the role of a school counselor.