Given the complexities of developing a 2017-2018 budget during a period of historic enrollment growth, Lower Merion School District has created a series of opportunities to help the public to understand the budget planning process. First, the District has created a video which outlines the main issues and challenges which must be considered when developing a budget. The video was produced in a talk show format and can be viewed by clicking here.
This year, LMSD has also planned a series of public Finance Committee meetings which focus on specific aspects of the budget, such as Facilities and Transportation.
According to Superintendent Robert Copeland, this new approach to presenting the budget will give the community an opportunity to learn about aspects which are of the greatest interest to them personally. “We encourage our residents to attend any or all of these meetings,” he explains.
All meetings will be held at the Lower Merion School District Administration Building Board Room (301 Montgomery Avenue, Ardmore).
The meeting schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday, March 15, 8:30 a.m.- Ask the Superintendent
- Wednesday, March 29, 8:30 a.m.- Finance Committee: Operations including Facilities and Transportation
- Wednesday, April 5, 7 p.m.- Finance Committee: Curriculum and Instruction Presentation
- Monday, April 24, 8 p.m.- Board Meeting: Proposed Final Budget Approval
- Wednesday, April 26, 8:30 a.m.- Finance Committee: Staffing including Enrollment Impact, Class Size and Technology
- Wednesday, May 17, 7 p.m.- Finance Committee: Presentation on Student Services including Gifted and Talented
- Monday, June 12, at 8 p.m. – Final Budget will be reviewed and voted on for adoption.
For updated and detailed information on the 2017-2018 budget, click here.