The Council will bring together individuals to address issues affecting the health of our children, youth, and families. Within a framework of risk factors identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the council will act as a liaison between the School Health program and the Lower Merion community. Through the cooperative effort of members, the council will identify risk factors, establish priorities, make recommendations, and provide leadership in health promotion activities.
Benefits of a Wellness Council
- Improve student performance and attendance
- Provide a way for community members and schools to collaborate in creating a health promoting environment.
- Provide a forum for sharing informationand utilizing community resources.
- Address the six CDC student risk factors
- Intentional and Unintentional Injuries
- Sexual Behaviors
- Physical Activity
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Provide healthy messages through the Comprehensive School Health Program model using the eight (8) components:
- Comprehensive School Health Education
- Physical Education
- Health Services
- School Environment and Safety
- Staff Health Promotion
- Food Services and Nutrition
- Counseling, Psychological, and Mental Health Services
- Family and Community Involvement
- Respond to changing health priorities within the district.